Now a days almost all the organizations are depending on multiple applications to run their day to day business and also wants to see what is happening in their organizations at a higher level as well as at the smallest level of details.
When we have multiple source systems where the organization data is residing, building data warehousing system on them would be difficult because the data integration and transformation plays major role which is often complex when multiple sources being involved.
The below image represents data warehouse system landscape with multiple source systems.
Data integration and transformations can be performed using database programming languages like SQL and PLSQL however it will be expensive to manage/maintain the landscape. This is where ETL (Extraction, Transformation and Loading) tools place major role in the industry. These tools are specifically designed to have single platform where developers can build the logic for transformations and administrators also can easily maintain the system.
We have lot of competitors in the industry for this sector, some of them are Informatica, SAP Data Services, Cognos, Data Stage, SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) etc.
In this article, I would like to give brief introduction and overview about SAP’s ETL tool which is Data Services. The topics which we are going to cover in this article are:
- What is Data Services?
- Data Services Architecture
- Important terminology
- Development Components overview
What is SAP Data Services?
SAP Data Services gives a single enterprise level solution for data integration, transformation, data quality, data profiling and text data processing which allows us to:
- Build a trusted data warehouse platform using data integration, data transform and data profiling
- Provides single graphical user interface application for developers to build everything in the system.
- Web based tools for managing application including the reporting on system runtime statistics, metadata, user maintenance.
- Enables organizations to maximize operational efficiency with single solution for data warehousing for improving data quality and integrating data from heterogeneous systems.
- The latest version of SAP Data Services is 4.2 as of 6/18/2015. SAP Data Services was actually two different components like Data Integrator (BODI) and Data Quality (BODQ) till the release of version 4.0 which was eventually combined into one and named it as SAP Data Services from later versions.
Note: Data Services was initially built by company called ‘Business Objects’ which got acquired by SAP in 2007. When SAP acquired Business Objects, they added SAP in front of all the tools which made ‘Business Objects Data Integrator/Quality (BODI/BODQ)’ to ‘SAP Business Objects Data Integrator/Quality (SAP BODI/SAP BODQ)’. When SAP released Data Services 4.1, they removed Business Objects and changed the name to ‘SAP Data Services’.
Data Services Architecture:
The below figure shows the architecture of SAP Data Services and relation between different components. It also shows different components involved while moving data from one system to other using SAP Data Services.
Proceed to the next page to continue reading…